Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Moroccan Tagine with Couscous

First off, have you seen the new option on my toolbar up the top there? 'Recipes from around the world'
This page will act as a round up of all the different recipes I have undertaken from different countries!

This week my recipe was from Morocco and I really enjoyed making it - partly because it used 5 different spices which looked and smelt amazing ! I enjoyed the result as well. I was a little unsure as there was no sauce to bind the tagine together. Shoot. Yes there was. I just didn't put it in! There was supposed to be a can of tomatoes! Seriously - I must learn to read the recipe properly! Well, seeing as that was my only criticism of the recipe, I guess that's sorted!
 I am posting the recipe below but bear in mind that the result should look redder than my photo because of the tomatoes! My excuse is that after a day in the library I had used all of my concentration! Ha! Have you ever omitted a key ingredient out of recipe and not realised it? (please make me feel better here!)

The raisins in this dish are absolutely delicious, they add a real sweetness against the spices. It made enough for my dinner and three lunches- this is delicious cold - even without the tomatoes this a really flavoursome (is that a word?) dish! I love the textures of chickpeas and aubergines!


Moroccan Tagine
adapted from gutsy gourmet
Serves 3
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
1 large green pepper, thinly sliced into strips
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup water
1 medium aubergine, cubed
1 can tinned tomatoes
1/2 cup raisins
1 240g can chickpeas (drained)
1 cup couscous

1. Heat a little oil in a pan and cook garlic and onion for 3-4 minutes
2. Add carrot, pepper, spices and 1/2 cup of water, cook for 5 minutes
3. Add 1/2 cup water, aubergine, tinned tomatoes, raisins and chickpeas
4. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes (stir during cooking)
5. After 25 minutes, put couscous in a bowl and add 1 1/2 cups of boiling water and a drop of olive oil. Cover until absorbed, add a little more water if needed to get the texture!
6. Enjoy!

Taste - ***
Speed- **
Repeat - Probably!

Love Rebecca

Linking to...
Sew Much Ado
Rae Gun Ramblings
Fireflies and Jellybeans

2 comments:

  1. Even better if cooked or served in a proper tagine. We have one but hardly ever use it. Hmmm, maybe I need to put a tagine recipe on the menu sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would! I've never used a real tagine before though! Do you put it in the oven?

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...