Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Tuesday 13 March 2012

Shoyu Chicken

This week's new recipe of the week was from Hawaii! (fitting considering we had a lovely summery day on Sunday - 15C!). And I must say it is one of my favourite new recipes this year! It was so flavoursome, relatively easy and very moreish! I can't wait to go home for Easter and make this for my parents on the BBQ! I added peas to my rice as I felt that the dish was lacking in vegetables but other than that it was delicious!

Taste - *****
Speed - *** (have to remember to marinade the chicken!)
Repeat - Absolutely

Serves 1

Chicken Marinade
adapted from allrecipes
1tblsp + 1tsp soy sauce
1tblsp + 1tsp brown sugar
1tblsp + 1tsp water
1/2 clove garlic
1/4 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp paprika
Black Pepper

1 Chicken Thigh

1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl just big enough to fit your chicken
2. Add your chicken thigh, first skin side down to coat then flip. Make sure the entire thigh is coated in the marinade
3. Chill for at least an hour (I chilled mine for 2)
4. Add thigh to a non stick frying pan skin side down and cook until skin is crispy, turn over and cook until the chicken is completely cooked through (cut through the thickest part to check)
            - Chicken can also be cooked on the BBQ

Pineapple Rice
adapted from 101cookbooks
1 tblsp olive oil
1 tblsp pineapple juice (I used the juice from the tinned pineapple)
1/4 cup of pineapple chunks (canned or fresh)
1/4 garlic clove
1/2 tblsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup rice
handful of frozen peas
1 spring onion, sliced
1/4 cup cashew nuts

1. Cover rice in boiling water and cook until tender. 5 minutes before finishing, add the peas
2. Put oil, juice, pineapple, garlic, soy sauce and ginger in a blender and blitz until smooth
3. Roast cashew nuts in the oven at 180 for 5-10 minutes until slightly browned
4. Warm the dressing in a pan
5. Drain rice and stir through nuts, dressing and spring onion

Serve the chicken on top of a bed of rice and imagine yourself on an island in the Pacific ocean.....

Love Rebecca

Linking up to...
Sew Much Ado
Rae Gun Ramblings
Fireflies and Jellybeans
Hear the Bells 
Six Sisters Stuff
Posititvely Splendid 

6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/03/show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-5.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! And I love Hawaiian chicken! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing at my TASTE THIS THURSDAY party last week!!! I am truly going to give this recipe a try. I featured your recipe this week...you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This chicken sounds delicious! Thanks for joining us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll come back next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...