Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Tuesday 15 May 2012

Chilean Empanadas


I really enjoyed this week's international dish - Empanadas (so much fun to say in a bad Spanish accent)! Although this meal was fiddly and I had a few mishaps along the way, the result was so yummy I would definitely make it again.

I don't know about you but I don't like olives. or hard boiled eggs. But this recipe had both! But I decided that if I was going to make it, I wanted to make it authentic so I went all the way and absolutely LOVED the combination of flavours! The sweetness of the raisins against the spice from the chilli and the cumin next to the olives and egg was absolutely delicious!

I did make a 'pebre' salsa to go with it out of coriander, parsley, chilli and spring onions. But it was so hot it literally felt like I had sunburned all round my mouth! I was drinking water and trying to soak my lips in water (a funny sight I'm sure!) for half an hour after - needless to say it did not get eaten and I will not be trying that part again! The Empanadas were great without the salsa - I just served it with a green salad

I couldn't find any serving sizes on any of the recipes so I adapted a recipe that made enough for two empanadas with some filling and a little bit of pastry left over (not enough for a whole empanada though!)
I had the leftover filling with couscous for lunch!

Chilean Empanadas
adapted from Chilean Wine
Makes enough for 2 Empanadas with left overs
Ingredients for dough
2 1/2 cups of white flour
2 tblsp of baking powder
1/4 cup of butter
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of warm water

Ingredients for the filling
2 onions, finely chopped
1 inch piece of red chili finely chopped
1/2 tsp of cumin powder
100g minced beef
1/4 tsp of Oregano

1 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/4 cup of black raisins
6 black olives, finely chopped
Milk for brushing


1. Fry the onion for 5 minutes
2. Add mince, oregano, cumin and chilli. Cook until meat is browned. Remove from the heat and leave to cool
3. To make the dough, mix flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
4. Put butter in the microwave for 30 seconds until warm and soft. Stir into flour mixture
5. Add the milk and stir. Knead together, adding water until you have a pastry consistency
6. Cover and leave in a warm area for 20 minutes. Meanwhile preheat oven to 180C
7. Roll out pastry on a floured surface
8. Cut circles (I cut round an 8" plate) and put on a plate
9. Add a couple of spoons of filling to one side of the circle, scatter with a few raisins, olives and pieces of egg
10. Brush round the circle with water and fold over so you have a semi circle
11. Fold up the three open edges and seal closed securely (use some more water to make sure secure)
12. Prick the top with a fork and brush milk over the top (helps it to brown in the oven)
13. Cook for 30-35 minutes until golden brown
14. Enjoy!


 PS. I had some spare pastry so.... I brushed them with melted butter and sprinkled them with sugar and cinnamon to make cinnamon twists....

Love Rebecca


Linking to...
Rae Gun Ramblings
Sew Much Ado
Fireflies and Jellybeans
A Creative Princess 
Six Sisters Stuff
Family Ever After
Whipperberry 
I Heart Naptime
Positively Splendid

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I don't know about the raisins, but if you were brave and didn't leave out the black olives, I won't leave out the raisins either! Found your blog at the "show off your stuff" party. New Follower! I'd love it if you checked out my site as well =)
    -Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! Be brave! You won't regret it (I hope!)

      Delete
  2. This looks yummy! We appreciate you linking up with us!! It's so fun to see all of the great ideas and recipes! We hope to see you back again soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...