Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Monday 25 June 2012

South African Chakalaka

This week's new international dish is from South Africa and is worth cooking just so you can answer the question 'What are you having for tea?' with...'Chakalaka!' - seriously, this word is soo much fun to say :)


Anyway... I volunteer on Saturdays so I need something quick and easy for tea when I come back and this recipe fits the bill perfectly; It was ready in about 20 minutes! I served it with polenta but it would also work over rice or a jacket potato.

Taste - *** (nice, comforting but nothing spectacularly special)
Speed - *****
Repeat? - yes I think so!


South African Chakalaka
serves 1
adapted from whats4eats
1/3 onion, finely chopped
1 small red or orange pepper, chopped
1-2 cm red chilli finely chopped (according to your taste)
1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp mild curry powder
1/2 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1/2 tin of baked beans
1/2 cup polenta


1. Fry onion, pepper, chilli, garlic and curry powder over a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened
2. Stir in tomatoes, bring the boil and simmer for 5 minutes
3. Stir in baked beans, season and heat through
4. Serve over polenta cooked according to the instructions on the packet

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Great recipe. I am ready to try this now. I have a Blog Hop, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/06/natural-hair-gel-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...