Home     About me     Recipes      Tutorials      Projects     Link Parties      Recipes From Around The World

Wednesday 28 November 2012

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie


I am very much impressed with the new recipe I tried this week - Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie. I am not a vegetarian, and I love a good shepherd's pie with mince but I do like lentils and was intrigued when I saw this recipe. I must say I loved it! It was delicious and just as comforting as regular Shepherd's Pie. I will be making it again for sure! 
The only problem with my pie was that I didn't have enough sweet potato for the dish I used so in the recipe I have upped the quantity for you!

Speed - **
Taste - *****
Repeat? - YES!

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
Serves 2
Adapted from bbcgoodfood.com
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled, cut in half and sliced
Dried Thyme - a light sprinkling
1/2 can tinned tomatoes
150ml vegetable stock
140g red lentils
2 sweet potatoes
Small handful of grated cheddar

1. Fry onion gently for 5-7 minutes until golden. Add carrots and a sprinkling of thyme
2. Add stock, tomatoes and lentils, simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are tender
3. Meanwhile, prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork and microwave (skins on) for 15-20 minutes until soft
4.Cut the sweet potatoes in half and when cool enough to touch, squeeze the flesh out of the skin into a bowl. Discard the skins and mash the flesh
5. Pour the lentil filling into an ovenproof dish and top with the sweet potato mash. Finally, sprinkle over the grated cheese
6. Cook at 170C (fan) for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden!

I hope you are having a great week!

Love Rebecca


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting Heron's Crafts! I love receiving your comments - and try to answer to all comments received by email! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...